school estudios application student visa how to study immigration

Student visa (Estancia por estudios) is a visa that is very popular for those who decide to study in Spain, as well as one of the ways to stay in this country and get a resident card. Therefore, a large number of visitors to Spain took advantage of the possibilities of a long-term study visa.

1. Who can apply for a student visa and at what age?

All foreign citizens, both children and adults who want to study in Spain for more than 90 days, can apply and get a visa. This type of visa should also be requested by foreigners who want to undertake training, unpaid work or volunteering in Spain. Although in Spain it is customary to study at any age, the chance to get a student visa decreases when approaching 40 years.

2. What documents are needed for a student visa?

To submit an application, the interested person must provide the following documentation (in original and copy) to the consulate of Spain in his country:

  • Visa application form, which you can find on the website of the consulate (VLD007 RVisa Estancia por Estudios).
  • Photos in color, passport size and white background.
  • Valid passport.
  • Diplomas or documents from previous educational institutions (translation and apostille).
  • Medical insurance issued in Spain (CERTIFICADO DE PÓLIZA)
  • A letter or certificate of criminal record (translation and apostille).
  • An invitation letter from the training center with payment confirmation.
  • Medical certificate confirming that the applicant does not suffer from diseases that may have a serious impact on public health (translation and apostille).
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources to cover the period of stay in the period for which the visa is requested. If the funds belong to a relative, these documents must be duly notarized and apostilled.

You have to take into account that if you want to get a job upon arrival in Spain, with this type of visa you can do an internship only in companies that are part of a study plan with part-time work, and some companies may offer financial assistance to a student .

To be able to work full-time and belong to the current Spanish labor market, you must apply for other types of visas, such as:

- Member of the family of a citizen of society (Familiar de ciudadano comunitario).
- Working visa which is issued by the company (Visa de trabajo)

3. Benefits of a student visa:

  • visa waivers in EU countries;
  • opportunity to issue a residence permit for each member of the student's family, provided that the student is an adult family member.
  • minimum financial confirmation for residence and visa.
  • students do not need to replace a driver's license, you can drive under national rights.
  • allows you to stay in Spain for a year, and you can extend it without leaving.
  • gives you the opportunity to legally stay in the country after training.
  • this is a great way to learn Spanish, broaden your horizons, take a closer look at life in Spain and decide whether or not to start moving to Spain for permanent residence.

4. Can my family accompany me during my stay in Spain to study?

Relatives of a student such as a spouse and children accompanying him to Spain may apply for a long-term visa. But keep in mind that if a child receives a study visa, parents will not be allowed to accompany him.

5. What is the amount of money you need to provide for the issuance of a study visa?

The minimum amount required for obtaining a visa is considered an amount calculated as 100% IPREM (El Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples - multifunctional total income) per month per year of study. For 2018, it was equal to 532.50 euros. Therefore, for the year of “student residence” you will need at least 532x12 = 6,390 euros.

6. How to stay in Spain after graduation?

After three years of living in Spain on a student visa and successful exams, you can apply for:

- Residence permit with the right of employment (Residencia temporal y trabajo por cuenta ajena).

- Residence permit with the right to engage in business activities (Residencia temporal y trabajo por cuenta propia).

- Residence permit (Residencia temporal por razones de arraigo), if the examinations failed or you have training debts.

7. How to start? can provide all the necessary services for the coordination and preparation of a package of documents from a Spanish school or university for submission to the Consulate of Spain in your country. All necessary information about the curriculum, application, agreement with the school, invitation, payment. As well as translation of documents from a sworn Spanish translator and sending you all the necessary documents for a successful start. The collection of other documents and their submission to the Consulate of Spain you will need to carry out independently.

Image gallery


Featured listings is a real estate portal marketplace kind where owners of real estates in Spain as individuals, professionals, companies with exclusive sales rights and banks can publish ads for sale, rental and services related to real estate market so that other users can search and find ads with real estates for purchase and rental or ads with services to directly hire real estate professionals for other operations such as management of purchase-sale and rental, cleaning, transport, renovation, construction and other services.